Thursday, September 15, 2016

Hancock: Preview



Tomorrow or over the weekend I'm going to write about the best superhero movie of the post-2000 age of cinema, Hancock. This is a very controversial and very rich movie. There are so many details and social lessons we could pry into.

Individually, Will Smith, Charlize Theron, and Peter Berg are all signs that a movie is going to powerful commentary on class and oppression. (I Am Legend, Mad Max Fury Road, Friday Night Lights.) When they get together...

Except I think most people reading this blog haven't seen it. You should, you can rent it for $3.

So I'll probably only write one post. But if people have seen it, sound off in the comments letting me know (or +1 this on some social media or whatever). If so, we could really dig into this one. You know, form a truly authentic reading of the text and re-examine our role in the social hierarchy? If that's not your idea of a fun weekend why are you even reading this blog.


4 comments:

  1. I've seen it. I thought it was really good up until the twist, which seems to come from nowhere and (for me) knocks the story off track and away from being the sort of thing that I was enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beyond the thematic importance of the twist (which I'll discuss), just rewatch the two dinner scenes (spaghetti, and fancy restaurant), knowing Mary's perspective and feelings. They're really good.

      Delete
  2. I've seen it, but I rented it and watched it again to read your commentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it was enjoyable to read. Let us know if you have any new interpretations.

      Delete